Different colours and markings ferrets can have
My web pages originally were an assignment for my HTML class in Lampeter University. I did this page back in 1997 as a way to add ordered and unordered lists. And have maintained it ever since...
- Albino - This is probably the most common colour of a ferret. Albino ferrets are white with red eyes- due to lack of pigmentation. Although many Albinos are not pure white but have a creamy or even orange tint because of the activity of the sebaceous glands. Indeed I have come across people who thought that ferrets are white and all coloured ferrets are polecats!
- Polecat or Poley - Probably the second most common colour. Named after the wild polecat as this colour is the same as the polecat has. Very dark in appearance due to the guard hairs that have black tips. The undercoat is pale and creamy. The facial markings are amazing- the eyes are encircled by dark hair while the rest of the face is white.
- Sandy - These ferrets have a creamy to dark brown coloured coat. They often don't have the distinct polecat-type mask or lack it completely.
- Siamese - These have a pale milk-chocolate coloured coat and darker brown legs.
- Silver - The coat is anything from dark polecat colour to light tan with some guard hairs that have silver tips.
- Dark-eyed Whites - These ferrets have dark eyes and a pure white coat which is not due to lack of pigmentation as in the Albino.
- Mitts - Mitt is a pattern and you can get any coloured ferret with this pattern. It's identified by white feet and white blaze on the throat or chest and white spots on the knees of the back legs.
My ferrets have the following colours/ markings
- Jilly - Siamese, although some people have called her a Dark Sandy
- Angel - Sandy, very light in colour with an almost invisible mask
- Jack - Sandy, slightly darker than Angel with a more visible mask
- Igor - Polecat
- Bella - Polecat, VERY beautiful, but no black nose
- Tom - Albino
- Mason - Albino
- Baby - Albino, very tiny with small eyes
- Dana - Polecat, but no black nose
- Fox - Silver mitt, very beautiful
- Reno - Sandy
- Rose - Sandy
- Hope - Polecat
- Jasmine - Silver
- Barney - Sandy/ silver mitt
- Spike - Sandy
- Hobo - Sandy
- Gremlin - Sandy
- Bobby - Polecat, very dark with a black nose
- Willow - Sandy mitt
- Tara - Polecat
- Riley - Polecat
- Wesley - Polecat
- Spike II - Polecat/ silver mitt
- Leo - Albino
- Piper - Albino
- Ruby - Albino
- Jake - Light silver mitt
- Phoebe - Dark silver mitt
- Jade - Albino
- Kobi - Polecat
- Honey - Sandy
- Snoopy - Sandy
- Peanut - Polecat mitt
- Charlie - Silver mitt
- Franklin - Polecat
- Squirt - Silver mitt
My ferrets & ferret health and information pages